......revelations of one woman's reality of life, love, and all things hopeful...

Monday, July 7, 2008

Top Mission Trip Memories

Around 60 people from my church left Saturday morning for a mission trip to New Orleans. I feel a little left out because I usually go on the mission trips. It just wasn't possible for me to go this year. Maybe next year.

I remember the first one about 8 or 9 years ago. It was in New Orleans. It seems like there were about 15 of us who went on that trip. We did a Bible School and a Hoops Camp at His Sanctuary Ministries church. I'm not positive, but I believe that community was destroyed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Here are some of my favorite memories of previous trips, in no particular order. Some descriptions may only be recognizable by those parties directly involved....you know who you are!!!!

1. All the little kids who were bussed in from the daycare that first year in New Orleans. They were so sweet, but we could not understand a word they said to us...especially their names! African-American/Cajun accents are very different from Sand Mountain accents! We could definitely communicate with each other about Grandma's Cookies and Capri Suns!

2. During the same trip to New Orleans, I came within a split second of death or at least traumatic brain injury when a basketball goal nearly fell on my head!

3. Charleston #2: I loved being on the Swim Team. That whole week I basically played in the pool with a little girl with Down syndrome. She was sweet. I remember that seemed to be a blessing to her Mom, giving her a break and allowing her to connect with the church.

4. Charleston #2: Stephanie McFall shines in the Sin Box.

5. I think it was during Charleston #1 that Holly and I had some noisy neighbors.

6. New York #1: "I Bless Your Name" at the Tuesday night prayer meeting at the Brooklyn Tabernacle.

7. New York #1: Ralph, Linda, Jessie, Jeff, and maybe Kelly on the Late Show with David Letterman.

8. New York #1: AHHHHHHHH Shreek Out!!!!

9. New York #3: I saw the Shreek with my own two eyes!

10. Trips to the laundry with Ace in New York.

11. Are you asleep? Are you kidding?

12. I'm cold. Where's my jacket? Well, Rainbow Bright!

13. The Legend of Willie Crane, New Orleans #2 with Tim Richie.

The best part of our mission trips is that you go to help other people and return home changed for the better. Faith grows. Love for the church family grows.

I pray for the safety of those who left for New Orleans on Saturday. I pray that seeds will be sown in faith daily so that Our Father will be glorified. I pray they all return home changed for the better with a bigger, deeper faith in Christ and love for one another. Can't wait to hear all about the trip!

No comments: