......revelations of one woman's reality of life, love, and all things hopeful...

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cup O'Tea, Anyone?

Even I know this is just wrong.

It calls for a tea party of sorts. A Boston-style tea party, to be clear.

The $800 billion stimulus bill unnerved me from the beginning. Remember this?

I knew it. I just knew it. It seems that my suspicions were right on...the very ones passing the bill had not even read the thing. Oh brother.... HERE is a nice quote to file away.

QUESTION: What now?

CURRENT ANSWER from Washington? H.R. 1586. Nice, Clark. Real nice.

I have just a a few thoughts on this matter....
  • Seriously? You are a congressman. If your job is to do anything, it's to pass laws. You didn't have time to read it? C'mon man... Priorities, people! Priorities!
  • I'm not rich, but I don't hate rich people. Why is everybody getting so mad at the AIG executives who received the bonuses? They're human just like you and me, right? It would take a person of exceptional character to refuse a bonus for the good of others. According to the letter of the law, evidently the bonuses were legal. The government who passed the bill is what's wacko in this instance. Perhaps if the company was in dire shape, the bonuses should have never been promised to begin with, and maybe past years of absurd executive bonuses are precisely what crumbled the company to begin with, but that's a mute point today.
  • 90%??? What? If the government allows a certain people group to be taxed at this rate, what keeps them from taxing me at this rate? No circumstances should call for 90% taxation. This is just asinine to me! Is there something I'm missing here? Somebody, please correct me if I'm missing a big point in this matter!

And here's another thing...

Regarding the uproar over the President and his "Special Olympics" comment on Leno. Who gives a flip? A little politically incorrect? Yes. He wasn't making fun of disabled people, he was making fun of himself, which I have to admire just a bit. But who cares anyway? Lighten up, people! It's a late night talk show, for Heaven's sake. Of course, had President George W. Bush said the same thing, Michael Moore would already be making a movie about it...

Oh! But wait! A late night talk show. Our nation is on the verge of the worst economic climate since the Great Depression, and the President is on Leno discussing bowling? Reminds me of a lecture I heard back in Western Civilization class when Marie-Antoinette said, in response to the news that her French subjects had no bread to eat, "Let them eat cake."

...Sigh...

Cake...

Oh yes, perhaps we can have teacakes at our tea party.

Something's gotta give, and I'm afraid it's going to be you and me giving more and more...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head. I have to completely agree :)