......revelations of one woman's reality of life, love, and all things hopeful...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Prescription....



I think every Christian will at some time in his life have to make a choice….

Is this Christian life working for me or not? Am I seriously walking this road, or is it all talk? Is my relationship with Christ affecting my actions day-to-day or will I settle for a Sunday-go-to-meetin’ on Sundays only spiritual life.

For me personally, I answered the question years ago that yes, it is working for me.

I want to walk this road, and I don’t want to be just talk.

I like to think that my faith dictates my behavior every day, and not just Sundays.

But sometime, it doesn’t. Not cool.

The feeling is almost like a spiritual schizophrenia of sorts, to know to do and to want to do the right thing, then not do so. There’s a word for that: sin. “For the person who knows to do good and doesn’t do it, it is a sin,” according to James 4:17.

Then there are the days when I actually do do good. But guess what! Surprise! That spiritual schizophrenia still rears its ugly head yet again. Well, maybe it’s not some spiritual schizophrenia here, I suspect a more accurate source of that uncomfortable feeling in my heart would be the Holy Spirit reminding me to check my motives.

Did I help that girl today because I love her or because it’s my job?
Did I discipline her today because I love her or because I was angry?
Did I compliment her today because I love her or because I want her to love me?

Did Christ recognize my deeds as loving worship of Him, or did he only hear a clanging cymbal?

Take heart, scripture has the perfect prescription for us spiritual schizos! “For I do not do the good I want to do, but I practice the evil that I do not want to do….who will rescue me from this body of death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord….” Romans 7. See, Jesus knows all about our battle, and He promises to rescue us!

And what about that “sin-part”. Well, He says if we confess it, He is faithful to forgive.

Keep pressing on….even when it's hard...

Cool.

No comments: